Republic of Ireland Squad at Euro 2016
Irish football manager Martin O’Neill named his squad for the Euro 2012 football finals in France on Tuesday 31st May 2016 at the Aviva Stadium. O’Neill largely remained faithful to the players that played in throughout the Euro 2016 qualification campaign that helped him to reach the Euro finals. O’Neill did not bring any uncapped players and the average age of the squad was almost 30 years – or 29 years and 303 days to be precise.
With a total of 973 caps the Irish squad was also the most experienced at the Euro 2016 finals. It has to be noted that this total was just three players accounted for 386 of the total number of caps – Robbie Keane 143, Shay Given 133, and John O’Shea 110.
In contrast the Germans brought the youngest squad at 25 years and 314 days and Romania had the most inexperienced squad with just 503 caps.
The Irish squad was drawn largely from the English Premier League (14 players) and the English Championship (8 players). The only exception was Robbie Keane from LA Galaxy in the US.
Just ten players that went to the Euro 2012 finals in Poland and Ukraine under Giovanni Trapattoni were retained. These were Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Stephen Ward, John O’Shea, Glenn Whelan, James McClean, Aiden McGeady, Shane Long, Jonathan Walters and Robbie Keane. Of these only four started in the first match against Sweden while three more came off the bench in the second half of that match.
If Shay Given had featured in the first Group E match against Sweden he would have become the first 40 year old to play at a European Championship however that distinction went to Hungary’s Gabo Kiraly the next day in the Group F match against Austria.
Ireland’s other Group E opponents were Belgium, ranked number 2 in the FIFA rankings and 12th ranked Italy.
Republic of Ireland Goalkeepers for Euro 2016 Finals
1. Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday) Born: 23/10/1984 Age 31
16. Shay Given (Stoke City) Born: 20/04/1976 Age 40
23. Darren Randolph (West Ham Utd) Born: 12/05/1987 Age 29
Republic of Ireland Defenders for Euro 2016 Finals
2. Seamus Coleman (Everton) Born: 11/10/1988 Age 27
3. Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa) Born: 26/09/1989 Age 26
4. John O’Shea (Sunderland ) Born: 30/04/1981 Age 35
5. Richard Keogh (Derby County) Born: 11/08/1986 Age 29
12. Shane Duffy (Blackburn Rovers) Born: 01/01/1992 Age 24
15. Cyrus Christie (Derby County) Born: 30/09/1992 Age 23
17. Stephen Ward (Burnley) Born: 20/08/1985 Age 30
Republic of Ireland Midfielders for Euro 2016 Finals
6. Glenn Whelan (Stoke City) Born: 13/01/1984 Age 32
7. Aiden McGeady (Sheffield Wednesday) Born: 04/04/1986 Age 30
8. James McCarthy (Everton) Born: 12/11/1990 Age 25
11. James McClean (West Brom) Born: 22/04/1989 Age 27
13. Jeff Hendrick (Derby County) Born: 31/01/1992 Age 24
18. David Meyler (Hull City) Born: 29/05/1989 Age 27
19. Robbie Brady (Norwich City) Born: 14/01/1992 Age 24
20. Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City) Born: 20/05/1982 Age 34
22. Stephen Quinn (Reading) Born: 01/04/1986 Age 30
Republic of Ireland Forwards for Euro 2016 Finals
9. Shane Long (Southampton) Born: 22/01/1987 Age 29
10. Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy) Born: 08/07/1980 Age 35
14. Jon Walters (Stoke City) Born: 20/09/1983 Age 32
21. Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town) Born: 15/03/1983 Age 33
Republic of Ireland Euro 2016 Squad Details
Ireland & 1990 World Cup Finals – Irish Squad World Cup 1990